quest for a photographic workflow........
Now that i have my 20D and tracey has my Canon S50 we have a problem. Let me back up a bit. We have had a problem for a loooooooooong time.
I went to school for photography. I shoot all the time. I also collect photoraphs that i find, or from my family or a book or a pile of garbage i pass by. Also, i used to run a digital imaging lab at a downtown service bureau and I had access to a drum scanner. This whole equation leaves me and tracey with lots of photographs. In case you are wondering what a lot is, let me break it down for you:
- organized and archived digital image CDs (~650MB each) (jason only): 60 (38 GB)
- organized and archived digital image DVDs (~4.7GB each) (family): 14 (63GB)
- Random stuff on my hard drive that i haven't archived yet: 25 GB
- Black Binders (the besseler ones, my favorites) filled with negatives or transparencies: 10. Each of these has somewhere around a hundred sheets of film.
- Boxes of photos that i have found: 12. Each has 500-2000 photos in it.
Grand Total: An unweildy mess.
So. Over the next couple of weeks I will be examining several solutions for dealing with this problem.
My requirements are: * Mac OS X compatible * Automatically import pictures from my EOS 20D and Tracey's S50. * Allow me to search for pictures on offline media. * Allow me to tag photos with custom metadata. * Integrate well with photoshop for editing. * Help organize for burning or exporting.
In fact, i have created a spreadsheet that i will be using to evaluate the different options. View my requirements (and their relative weightings) as a PDF file.